Tuesday, October 4, 2011

HTC EVO Battery Life Fix! Found This Trick and It Has Really Come in Handy

Those of you with an HTC EVO on Sprint's network may have noticed that your phone's battery life is terrible. In fact, that's probably why you've ended up at this page. If you're anything like me, you've tried nearly everything to increase the life of your battery so that you're still able to make a phone call after having sent a couple of texts AND watched a quick video on YouTube. Running Task Killers, disabling WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS, even underclocking the CPU didn't seem to help me much.

Then I stumbled upon a tip that really made a difference for me, so I thought I'd share it with you all. The problem is that the EVO appears to be set to scan for both GSM & CDMA network types, when you really only need CDMA (Sprint's network is CDMA only).

Sprint Store

Here's what I did:

One simple setting is all it took. - Open your phone app as if you were going to make a call by dialing a number.

- Dial *#*#4636#*#* (That's star, pound, star, pound, four, six, three, six, pound, star, pound, star.)

- You should immediately be taken to a menu called "Testing".

- Select "Phone information" and scroll down to the very bottom of the "Phone info" screen.

- The first option on this screen says "Set preferred network type:", make sure that it is set to CDMA auto (PRL).

That's it! You may need to reboot your phone before it takes effect. I made this change and usually see between 15 and 20 hours of life if I use the phone regularly throughout the day. Enjoy!

UPDATE: I just read that there is an app called Network that takes you to this same window without having to dial the code mentioned above. You can search for it in the Market, or use the QR code below from your phone.

HTC EVO Battery Life Fix! Found This Trick and It Has Really Come in Handy

public liability insurance future trading no win no fee

No comments:

Post a Comment